History and introduction
Agrasen Ki Baoli is one of the haunted historical monument. Although there is no proof who built it. But people believe that King Agrasen built it in the time of Mahabharata i.e. around 3124 BC. And Aggarwal community who claimed to be the descendant of King Agrasen rebuilt it in around 14th century.
Agrasen Ki Baoli – Meaning and Location
Meaning of Baoli
It is basically a stepwell, stepwells are wells or ponds and Baoli is a Hindi word for stepwell, water temples. At present time it is drought but many a times people have seen water inside it.
Location of this place
Agrasen Ki Baoli is situated on Halley Road in New Delhi, India and the nearest metro station to go there is Janpath or Barakhamba Road. Visiting time is between 7 AM and 6 PM and is opened 365 days a year. It is situated 2 km away from India Gate and 1.5 km away from Jantar Mantar. Around this monument, there are the porch areas of New Delhi. Texture of this place is made using pattern of rocks and stones.
Map for the place
Some facts about Agrasen Ki Baoli
- This place is perfect for photography lovers as the architecture of the monument is amazing, only after visiting there one can see its beauty.
- It is rectangular in shape and has a width of 15 m and length of 60 m.
- Some scenes of Bollywood movies like PK and Sultan were shot there.
- Many consider this place as one of the haunted places in Delhi and is advisable to not go there at night.
Reason why people call it haunted place
- There are also rumors that this Baoli used to have black water which used to attract people to jump in there and commit suicide. A case of suicide was brought in light by media in year 2007, at that time water was only 4-5 feet deep.
- Many a times strange sound, like sound of anklet (a jewelry worn by girls and women in foot) and that’s the reason why people are not allowed to stay there after 6 PM. This place is a house of paranormal activities. Those who take interest in horror things must visit this place once in a life.
If you enjoyed reading this article please share your views in the comment section. We will appreciate your comments.
Hope you visit again.
Also read about the mysterious temple mehandipur balaji
And about one more haunted place that is Bhagarh Fort